teapot1

teapot1

Saturday, June 30, 2012


Notes from the Missing



I hadn’t realized how long it’s been since I put up a new post on my blog other than fiction pieces. When I sat back and reviewed the month of June, I understood why.



So here, not necessarily in order, are the things that were occupying me this past month.



• Ran a 5K race (with my husband) as part of Rhode Island’s Gaspee Days celebration. Considering how out of shape I am and that I’ve never been a fast runner, I was satisfied with my time of 37:34. At least I didn’t stop and walk.



• Tried to start regular running again.



• Met a friend for lunch.



• Lectored for the first time since returning to our old church.



• Went on the Providence Preservation Society tour of houses on the East Side and of the historical cemetery in our neighborhood.



• Visited my father-in-law in Georgia for Father’s Day weekend. Stayed with my sister-in-law and her family. Saw our four nieces. Went to a AAA Gwinnett Braves baseball game. Took Dad out to breakfast and dinner for Father’s Day.



At baseball game


• Got caught in a thunderstorm while jogging.


• With a friend, visited another friend before she had knee surgery.


• Crocheted a prayer shawl for the friend before her surgery.


• Bought a new dishwasher and had it installed.


• Met with a kitchen remodeler about having a new floor and countertop installed and looked at floor tiles.

(red tile)
(gray tile)














• Had new front doors installed.






• Made up and sent out invitations for my mother’s 100th birthday party in August.



• Finished the huge biography of van Gogh I’ve been reading.



• Celebrated the first day of summer by taking our dog to a neighborhood pizza place and sitting at an outdoor table.





• Made it through three very hot days (mid-90s) and still managed to get some work done.








• Finally started the garden and planted our window boxes.








 Went to a lecture on history of public houses (taverns) in Rhode Island at the Providence library.


 • Saw a concert by Manhattan Transfer.


• Attended a church prayer shawl ministry meeting.


• Visited my mother twice a week.


• Worked (why is this at the bottom of the list?)
 

Those are the tea leaves that went into my June teapot. When July and August are over, and I’m depressed about the end of the summer, I hope to look back over these things, smile at the memories, and enjoy a satisfying pot of summer tea.



How has your summer been so far?


11 comments:

  1. Wow, you HAVE been busy! But at least you are having some summer. Here in the UK it's been the wettest June on record - so depressing when it seems to rain every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your weather, Paula. We did have a lot of rainy weather in June, but we got rewarded for it this week. Hope it clears up for you. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. what a wonderful list of accomplishments!! so sweet you didn't leave your little doggie out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn. No, Honey doesn't like it when we leave her out of things, so we have to give her a treat every once in a while (a treat of activity as well as the other kind). Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I would love to tour old houses & historical cemetery! That's right up my alley!

    Good job on the 5k!!

    Love all the home improvements going on!

    can't wait to hear about the big party - what an awesome occasion!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you live, Lisa? Providence really is rich in old houses. We're lucky we have a good and active preservation society. I love just walking around and looking at them even when we can't get in--it's fun to imagine what they look like inside. I don't know if you've heard of H. P. Lovecraft, the horror writer, but he's buried in that cemetery, and people make pilgrimages to it every year on his birthday and leave things at the gravesite. Thanks for the congratulations--we have another (longer) race coming up in a couple of weeks and I need to really practice for that one. And I will report on the birthday party. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  4. I don't know you've got to stop meeting with friends and starts blogging, like I haven't. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Pam! Does that mean you want to call off our lunch Tuesday, so you can spend the time blogging, too?

      Delete
  5. I love so many things on this list!! Well...all of them!!!

    Good for you for the running!
    Love the doors, and the garden and the flowers. And, the whole blog with pictures that includes us in your life.

    Love Manhattan Tranfer!!!

    I had a prayer Shawl croched for me when we took our younger son to Texas for surgery on his arm (he was then not diagnosed with autism but still born with a physical disability). My home church family, undertanding our older son's issues, also made a shawl for him. Having received two of those, I want to tell you how much they mean. :)

    Loved hearing from you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, that's a lovely story about the shawls you received. My sister-in-law also received one after my brother passed away, and she said the same thing, that it meant a lot to her. It's nice to hear that. Aren't Manhattan Transfer great? I'd never seen them before, and they do a wonderful show. Thanks for the encouraging words about running and our home. I'll let everyone know (and see) how the finished product comes out. Thanks for visiting and commenting--I appreciate it.

      Delete
  6. Cants believe your own mom will be 100. This is awful to say but ISP t think I can survive what I'm going throughb with my own mother for hat long. Anway, I never got your email aboutu sting your story or the reply. Not sure how replies work on blogs. It's best just to comeback I guess like I am. It that's great, I will put up your story maybe tomorrow or earlier. I'll let you know when it's up.

    ReplyDelete