teapot1

teapot1

Friday, April 26, 2013


V

 

Vincent van Gogh

 Of course, V had to be for Vincent, probably my favorite artist and the favorite of very many people. It’s so sad that he never knew how popular and lauded he would become, because his life was nothing but a series of failures, disappointments, hurts, failed relationships, and self-destructive actions. Yet today he is hailed as one of the greatest and most innovative artists of all time.

Vincent van Gogh had tried several professions in his youth, most notably as an art dealer (with his brother Theo) and a preacher. In everything he tried he ended up alienating other people, largely because of his overenthusiastic and perfectionist approach to everything. I won’t go into a detailed biography here; for those who want to learn more about this troubled and brilliant artist, I highly recommend this excellent biography:

 

 



 

So much has been said about van Gogh that I don’t need to elaborate here. Instead I give you these wonderful examples of his art to enjoy.

 

 


(just for fun—van Gogh’s Irises and a photo I took)


Sunflowers
Café Terrace


Starry Night


 
Almond Blossoms (showing Japanese influence)
 

4 comments:

  1. Just stopping in with A-Z. I chose Van Gogh too because I visited Provence last summer, where he produced so many of his paintings - a memorable experience.
    Faye at Destination: Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vincent Van Gogh, I knew he had to be "V." My favorite artist as well. I'm really enjoying your art series and I'm learning a lot. I have his "Irises" poster.~Denise Ferri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irises is beautiful but of all thees I like Starry Night the best. Funny side note, on m browser, the picture of the book with Vincent on the cover is right next to your picture of Honey. They look so incredibly similar it gave me a BIG grin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irises is beautiful but of all thees I like Starry Night the best. Funny side note, on m browser, the picture of the book with Vincent on the cover is right next to your picture of Honey. They look so incredibly similar it gave me a BIG grin!

    ReplyDelete